Requirements & Location
Starting from the Tol'Cam Gates, Status 3 Portal, only the  Missing Karavan quest is needed to reach obtain the Orb of Disruption that summons Sand Golem. But to gain access to the desert, you will either need to accept the quest  Centaur Lords (which is also required to progress to Status 4) as well, or is the Quest  And The Next Problem Is... from Grom Gol, which would require Status 7.
Upon finding the missing Karavan, south-west of the desert, one must take the next quest  They're Coming Right At Us! that spawns the Mini-Boss at wave 7, which drops the required Orb of Disruption.
The Sand Golem is summoned in an area west of the first Centaur Camp north of the Karavan (the most bottom-left Centaur Camp). The player with the Orb of Disruption in the inventory simply needs to approach the dust cloud to initiate the Boss sequence.
Sand Golem's Abilities
Sand Golem has 4 abilities that he will cast in the same order before repeating the cycle.
SG faces the named player and channels for about 3 seconds before releasing a shock-wave in a straight line, that deals heavy damage to heroes in its path.
This is the first ability SG will cast, which he does a few seconds after you engage him. The shock-wave travels slowly and is easily dodged by moving.
A tornado spawns on the Sand Golem that slowly starts traveling towards the named player. As the tornado moves, it leaves behind a dust-trail that does damage-per-second to any players caught in it.
The player named needs to immediately kite the tornado, preferably along the wall to not cause damage to other players in the center. If the tornado remained anywhere near the boss, he gains an increase in attack speed.
When this dialog appears, a Rock Shard is spawned along the walls and starts slowly walking towards Sand Golem.
When the Rock Shard comes in contact with SG, the following dialog appears RRRAAAGGH!! More... Power...., and the boss regains HP and a permanent Attack Damage increase. In addition, a dust cloud that deals DPS is spawned at the location of the where the Rock Shard touched the boss.
This can be avoided if the Rock Shard is destroyed, or the boss re-positioned to delay contact.
Shortly after this dialog appears, the Sand Golem tosses a boulder at ALL players that stuns for 2 seconds and deals a certain amount of damage.
This ability is the final ability of Sand Golem and the only one that does damage which cannot be dodged.
Defeating Sand Golem
- Maximize DPS and Minimize Movement
- The less time spent moving, the more time is spent dealing damage to the boss, so to its important to know the timing of the bosses abilities and positions of your teammates.
- Tank Boss in the middle if possible to keep him away from Rock Shards that spawn. Spread around the boss and avoid standing behind other heroes, especially the Tanking hero,to avoid that multiple players have to move if only one person is targeted by an ability.
- Handling Tornadoes
- When the tornado spawns, the named player should immediately move to a wall and kite the dust trail alongside it, with the intent to keep less extra damage from other players. The tornado will last until after SG's 4th ability is casted, which means whoever is kiting will get stunned for 2 seconds before the tornado expires, so make sure to keep a good distance between your hero and the tornado.
- Kill the Rock Shard Spawns
- What makes the normal SG kill easier than the VX mode kill is that players may kill the Mini-Golem spawns before they reach the boss. Due to this, the fight may go on practically forever if the healer can keep the tank alive and the other heroes know how to dodge abilities safely. Ranged DPS heroes are most effective in killing adds, since they will require less movement than a melee DPS.
How to VX Sand Golem - 'Snack Attack'
Defeat the Sand Golem without killing any of the Rock Shards that spawn.
Sand Golem UVX Guide
In addition to VX condition, you need to deliberately feed him mini golems. Once he eats about 15, he will grow massively in size, shout "You are no match for the power of the sands!" and UVX mode will be enabled.
- Instead of declaring a specific player to shoot a sandwave at, he'll shout "All shall be purified by the sands!" and shoot sandwaves in all 8 cardinal directions around him
- After eating his 5th mini, he'll start summoning 2 tornadoes instead of 1 during tornado phase. Each tornado follows a different player, and if the tornadoes collide with each other then they'll explode, instakilling all players. The tornadoes also move faster the further they are from the boss, and the boss gains movement and attack speed bonus near a tornado.
- He'll throw two rocks instead of one at the end of tornado phase, stunning for longer.
- Every time he eats a mini he'll leave behind a sandzone at the spot the mini was eaten
- Upon eating the 15th mini, the boss will deal 330 pure dmg with his attacks.
- Upon death, he'll throw 800 pure damage boulders at all players
The key to defeating this boss is surviving everything it throws at you. To survive, players need a large health pool, because rocks do ~420 dmg without magic resist. Sacraficing damage for more hp is not a problem, since the boss has low health pool, and there is plenty of time to damage down the boss before he eats the 15th mini. When that happens, the boss must die very quickly, because the pure dmg will annihilate the tank fast. Also make sure to have enough hp to survive the on death proc.