Requirements & Location
Enter the Tomb
Phases & Abilities
The Karrix battle is separated into 2 phases, a DPS Phase and a Burrow Phase, each containing abilities that do fatal damage if a player does not know how to mitigate them.
The following are the significant sections of the boss area:
- Entrance: Heroes can enter and exit through here.
- Inner Layer: This is where most of the fight will take place.
- Outer Layer: Wall of Spikes takes place here during the Burrow Phase.
- 1 of 4 Pillars in the zone that players will need to employ during the Burrow Phases.
- AOT Entrance: When Karrix is defeated, players can exit through here to the Ancient Orc Tomb.
This is the only phase where the boss can take damage from players and lasts until the boss loses 1/3rd of his total HP. When the boss reaches 66% and 33%, he will burrow and become invulnerable for a Burrow Phase.
Karrix has cleave, which causes him to deal damage in a huge area in front of him with his basic attacks.
Karrix lashes his tail, spawning a sand void zone by behind him that deals damage per second. Players should avoid positioning behind the boss throughout this phase.
Dialog: Suffer, playername
Karrix targets a hero that is 300+ range away from him then tosses a slow moving projectile at the location of the named player, which does instant damage upon landing, and spawns poison void zone with large AOE, that continues to do damage per second for a significant amount of time.
VX Mode Only:
On VX mode, Mini Scorpions will also spawn during this phase (instead of only on Burrow phases) and killing these during this phase will trigger the boss to cast Tail Swipe.
Karrix burrows and becomes invulnerable throughout this phase. This phase lasts until after his 4th cast of Spikes of Malice, prompted by the dialog: *krrssshhhh* arg, ENOUGH!
Mini Scorpion Adds
Mini Scorpions will continuously spawn through this phase.
Wall of Spikes
A wall of spikes will travel along the Outer Layer (3) of the zone, dealing fatal damage to any heroes in its path. Heroes will need to remain in the Inner Layer (2) to avoid it.
Spikes of Malice
Dialog: *krrssshhhh* I come for you, playername
Spikes will appear from a random side on the outer layer (3) and slowly accelerate to the named player. Spikes of Malice causes instant-death to the named player and fatal damage to any other players it touches. If the named player dies, a new player is named and pursued. This ability continues until the spikes collide into a pillar (4).
Every time Karrix collides with a pillar during Spiked of Malice, a permanent sandfall zone appears at a random location in the area that deals damage to players that it comes in contact with.
How to Kill Karrix
- DPS 100%-66% HP
- DPS 66%-33% HP
- DPS 33%-0% HP
DPS Phase - Dealing with Poison Lob
This is his main ability during phase 1 that the heroes need to be deal with. Simply assign 1 hero to act as a bait, maintaining a large distance from the boss so that the other heroes can safely deal damage to him. If the boss is tanked in the center, the poison baiting hero can wait at any corner in the outer layer (3) until a poison lob is thrown to then move to a safe spot. A boss will continue to cast this ability in regular intervals (approx. every 10s) until he loses 1/3rd of his total HP.
Burrow Phase - Dealing with Spikes of Malice
While all heroes should be in the center during this phase, the one named by this ability needs to quickly position himself by a pillar (4) so that it is between the hero and the boss. When the boss collides with a pillar (4), the hero needs to quickly re-position in the inner layer (2) to avoid the Wall of Spikes ability in the outer layer (3) again.
When transitioning from a DPS to Burrow phase, make sure to position in the middle layer as fast as possible, especially the hero baiting the poison lob who may not see the transition occur.
When returning from a Burrow to DPS phase (indicated by a dialog after his 4th main ability cast), a hero should position at a distance from the boss to bait the poison lobs again.
How to VX Karrix - 'Baby Killer'
Condition: Defeat Karrix after you kill all 5 baby scorpions causing him to enrage.
Upon entering the boss area, ignore Karrix and proceed to kill the 5 baby scorpions that roam the Outer Layer (3), typically on the north half. The boss can be auto-attacked (e.g. so that tank can get aggro), but dealing too much damage to him will cause the baby scorpions to burrow, not triggering VX.
The following changes apply during VX mode:
- Karrix gains an Enraged buff, giving him a permanent attack damage increase, immediately when the baby scorpions die.
- Mini-Scorpion Adds now spawn during the DPS phase as well.
- When a Mini-Scorpion is killed during a DPS phase, Karrix will cast his Tail Lash ability.
Karrix UVX Guide
Comes in two modes: Lesser UVX and True UVX. For Lesser UVX, never overlap the sand zones that Karrix will summon behind his tail during the poison phases. For True UVX, do the same as Lesser but also deliberately allow Karrix to launch acid volleys 4 times (20 acid balls) in the first and third phases, and 7 times (35 acid balls) in the last phase before killing him.
- You will know if UVX is successfully activated if Karrix shows a special message: "You cannot handle this! You're not strong enough!" for True UVX, or "There's no way you will take me on!" for Lesser UVX.
- At the start of the fight, a "Spikes of Malice" will appear and constantly follow a player. This spike must remain following a player for the entire fight. You CANNOT let it hit a pillar; if it hits a pillar, it will cause an instakill. Spike does 600 dmg if it hits a player, and it will change targets whenever Karrix tunnels or stops tunnelling.
- He'll throw 5 balls of poison instead of 1, all at a single player with a small delay in between each one.
- During his tunnelling/"I come for you" phase, he'll create shockwaves around him that deal heavy damage. He'll also summon many more (10+) mini scorpions than normal.
- In addition to spawning sand zones behind the boss, every time a mini scorpion is killed it will leave behind a sand zone at the spot of death.
- Starting from the third phase, a slow-moving wall of spikes will move in a circle around the outer edge of the arena, this does slightly under 150 damage per hit, for several hits (survivable for a tank).
- During the final phase, spikes will constantly impale all players every 3 seconds (this cannot be dodged), dealing 100 damage and stunning for 1 second.
- Upon Karrix's death, the room will become sealed and start to collapse. All players must take the loot, open the door (stand on the two switches that will appear) and exit north to Ancient Orc Tomb within 25 seconds or die.